Thursday, October 18, 2007

Scholarship

I have never won anything in my life. The day when I received the letter in the mail telling me they were pleased to inform me that I was one of the recipients of the Helen Martin Scholarship I was shocked. I didn't think I even had a chance. I mean after all there must have been hundreds of other kids waiting to go to college that were in worse situations then I was. Apparently, my situation was as bad as I thought, I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

I bet you are wondering what the scholarship was for. Well the scholarship was from the Nassau-Suffolk Coalition for the Homeless, Inc. I was required to write an essay with a minimum of 700 words explaining my homeless situation. I was also required to fill out the application for the scholarship, obtain my high school transcripts, and recommendations. Only two recipients would be chosen.

I did not even think that I would have a chance, there was a deadline, which was July 12, and I mailed it out the day before. Well, the essay brought tears to their eyes. When I went to the 19th Annual Keys for the Homeless Conference on October 12, I felt like I had won an Oscar. When they called my name I went up to the stage to receive my award I presented my story. I felt like a celebrity, many key people were congratulating me.

That was a wonderful experience. I really appreciate the Nassau-Suffolk Coalition for the Homeless for giving me a chance.

No comments: