Thursday, October 25, 2007

I got the job!

College is an expensive thing. Even though financial aid is covering everything, somethings are not covered, because they are not necessities. My tuition, room & board, meal plan, and my books are covered. There are other things that have to be paid for too in the real world. What about things that are like your basic needs like toilet paper and things of that sort? Who's going to pay for that? The student is.

What happens to those students like me who have no money, whose parents have no money either? That student has to find a job. So I have been searching since I got here, I've tried the mall, the surrounding area, and even campus. Since work study is on a first come, first serve basis, I did not get it because I couldn't find St. John's code for FAFSA until they accepted me in May.

So thankfully, I applied for a telemarketing job at Wagner College, and I got the job. Tuesday was the orientation, and I got paid for that day too. Yesterday was my official first day. I am supposed to persuade alumni and family of alumni to donate money to the Wagner College Annual Scholarship Fund. It was so nerve racking making my first call. Most of my calls were no answers. I got a few refusals and call backs. I did get one person to think about pledging.

Once I got to the Massachusetts pile, everyone was a little annoyed, because I was interrupting their Red Sox game. I am glad I got a job, finally I can be motivated again and get the money I need. Overall, I liked my first day!

No comments: