Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Color Purple: the play

I don't know if you have ever seen The Color Purple, the movie, starring Whoopie Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey, but it was a pretty good movie. It was about a young black girl named Celie, who gets pregnant and is forced to marry a man who makes her life miserable and basically takes her sister, Nettie, away. Along her journey in life she comes encountered with strong characters who make her realize she is beautiful. The play is a musical which stars American Idol winner Fantasia Barino.

Well, I thought the play was very nicely put together, in fact I think it was better than the movie. It was much more funny than the movie. I really enjoyed it and really got trapped in the play, even though Fantasia was not there. My favorite character in the play was Sofia. Sofia was a big busty women who was married to Harpo who was the son of the man Celie married. Her favorite phrase was "Hell No!" I really liked her because she was a very gutsy woman who spoke her mind. The character was played by Natasha-Yvette Williams. I did manage to get an autograph from her too!

It was a really good play despite what many have thought. I recommend that you do see it sometime if you haven't already and if you did I think you should see it again.

No comments: